Ads by Smowtion

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Holidays and My Words Are My Shelter Update!

Greetings everyone!

I hope you enjoyed the interview with Gigi Rosenberg, author of the new book, Artist’s Guide to Grant Writing: How to Find Funds and Write Foolproof Proposals for the Visual, Literary and Performing Artist. If you haven’t, please check it out. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that the My Words Are My Shelter project is officially closed for the season. Because of you, dear and generous readers, I was able to raise enough money to send 125 women each a journal, pen and pencil AND raise enough money for me to travel to Cleveland to do a poetry workshop at the Norma Herr Women’s Center and also send a $100 donation to the shelter. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I will definitely do this My Words project again next holiday season and hopefully it will grow into something much larger over time. Perhaps other writing workshops at shelter or maybe down the road, some kind of foundation. If you would like to read about the project and the story behind it, please go here: http://miraslist.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-words-are-my-shelter-project.html. For the story behind my mother, Norma Herr, and the shelter in Cleveland, go here: http://www.mhs-inc.org/CWS.asp

One thing that was particularly lovely, aside from all the donations, was that many of you wrote beautiful letters and emails full of encouragement and support. Some of you told me about your own struggle with a family member who was homeless or who was mentally ill. Some of you said that you had been so inspired from this project that you decided to volunteer at a homeless shelter for the holidays. Others from as far away as Australia and Canada said that you wanted to start a similar project in your home town. That is the power of compassion—one small act can spark a thousand acts of kindness. So thanks again for all you have done—even those of you who couldn’t contribute but who sent me such kind and supportive cards and emails. I love you guys!

Have a safe, peaceful and creative holiday and I will post something when I get back from my family's, after the 26th. Lots of new opportunities coming soon!

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays to you all,
Mirabee

No comments:

Post a Comment